Thursday, May 29, 2008

artist, drawing


I have not posted anything for a month!

I have just been to Africa for 10 days, to spend some time with my daughter Jo, with my sister, Cathy... well known to art loving bloggers... and her family, and with my son and his family in Zambia. I know I should be sketching... I really need the practice. My one attempt, of son Tristan, caused Jo long, spontaneous and irrepressible mirth, which was good to see as she had been feeling sad. Glad I could help!!

My attempts at finding artistic fame are not, however, in vain. I feature this week in wonderful sketches by my sisters on their pages. They were responding to a call from Adam Cope for images of artists at work.

So here is a sketch of an artist (Adam, actually), sketching under the table at a market in Lalinde, France. Such a great day, great memories of sunshine and happiness to be with my sisters in beautiful France, painting!

I heard today that Beryl Cook has died. In a piece on the radio, it was said that she used to sketch in pubs, with the work happening inside her handbag!! What joy that woman brought to so many with her colourful and funny, insightful work.

6 comments:

Adam Cope said...

ha ha Vivienne

i didn't know that i was under scrutiny!

i'll poste it up at dordogne painting days in the painters painting section.

you know, other than giving oneself a hard time about NOT sketching, the other way is just to do modest little things with a pencil every so often. that way, it becomes a pleasure, just a little ten minutes here or there, simply with a pencil. the other way is too limit oneself strictly in the choice of subject matter , for example i draw musicians whenever i come across them, & knowing that there's buskers in the market place i thus do a wee sketch, for the duration of a song, nothing more.

Cathy Gatland said...

Glad too you provided Jo with some laughter therapy :oD Art has many purposes! Beryl Cook would have approved. How sad that she is gone - she was the one artist that Dad wholeheartedly endorsed!
This is a beautiful drawing, and very recognisable as Adam even from the 3/4 back view - a lovely day indeed. There is your other painting post of Gillian, painting while looking out over the Dordogne that would also fit the theme...

Gillian said...

Off to Savannah today for the art son's graduation!! So glad to see this of Adam before I leave. I remember this day, remember the hour, and the minutes! I also remember blonde Stella - ha ha ha ;D !!!
I didn't hear of Beryl Cook's passing here, so thanks for passing on that sad news. It's because of her that I often say to Russel when we see appropriate subject matter... "Now there's real Beryl Cook material..."

Vivienne said...

I am remiss! Cathy told me it is good etiquette to follow up on comments. I am always SO chuffed when anyone looks at my work, especially you, Adam, and thank you for the advice, which I'll try and heed.It is always good to go back to the dordogne website and see what is going on in that special place.

Adam Cope said...

oh we're all so busy & painting is frequently the lest thing we get round to doing..

funny thing is, it's great fun when one's actually gets round to doing it...

Gillian said...

AMEN to that Adam!