Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Hat Seller




Well here she is... the Hat Seller.
This has been nearly finished for ages, and I keep fiddling, not satisfied with the face, the background colour, the light. I suspect it was better earlier, and I cannot 'see' it any more.
I would appreciate comments re anything else I should do!
The photos are rather poor. It is very wet today, so I took them inside. Natural light is a bit dim, and any flash bounces off the oil paint.
One pic is from the side. I continued the image around the edge of the canvas, which I think is quite fun, especially where it shows the pile of hats on the table.
It is 12" by 16"

5 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

Wow, Vivienne! This is so so good, I just love it - I honestly can't see anywhere it needs any further adjustments. The lighting on the top pic looks a little dark around her head, but I can see in the side shot that it isn't - the hats going round the side are great - it's hard to paint detail on those edges, but it looks as good as the rest! She looks so wonderfully French, with that beautiful hand and ciggie... I remember her now and that fabulous street market. Tres baie bien, cherie!

Vivienne said...

Thanks Cath. Not so wow... very much a painting from a photo, though her face amazed me as it smiled, glowered,looked tragic, and went through a whole gamut of other emotions, depending on the tiniest strokes around eyes and mouth. Because she is older, I guess. I should lighten the wall behind her ... yes. Kept forgetting the raw sienna tip and getting into murk there. Ah me!! the artist's trials!!

Cathy Gatland said...

You've done her face - and her hair - beautifully, so very expressive. I think you must take another photo when your lighting is better!

Gillian said...

It's been well worth the wait and anticipation for your hat seller painting! I remember her so clearly now - she was such a character. (200 years ago, can you see her sitting and knitting at the guillotine, or perhaps she was royalty and was IN the little wagon pulled to meet her destiny...) Anyway she is so VERY French, nĂȘ - ja - ciggie an' all!! The colour palette is beautiful. Love the painting wrapping the frame edge too...

Gillian said...

Sorry to hear you're 'crook' VP - hope you'll get over it quickly. Get lots of rest. Lots of love - GH