Saturday, September 6, 2008

No time to Paint

I'm longing to do some painting again, and I will. Just seem to have a few things that have got on top of me... mainly the garden, which is rather out of hand, so I've been hacking and dragging and pulling and getting scratched for what feels like ages. I hope it counts as exercise, as I am pooped!It feels like a good project while PKRP's away, and I did have some help on Thursday from a lovely man called Tony, who will return next week. Thank goodness!! It all seems very urgent at this time of year, when things are gearing up for growth, and before it gets too hot and dry to be bothered.

I just took the dogs for a walk, and would have loved to be painting, though they would never allow it.Nice to be out with them both again, as No1 dog has recovered from her surgery. The Swan River flows past the bottom of our street and there is a most lovely walk beneath limestone cliffs, along the river's edge. The spring flowers are wonderful. Lots of native plants ... quite dark and sclerophyllous through the year, but the new green growth at the branch tips is like little green lights . And the flowers! Some have the sweetest honey smell. The 'wattle'(acacia) is covered in yellow puff balls, and white freesias have gone crazy to form a heavily perfumed ground cover along the banks. To add to the delight, a resident pair of Ospreys, whose nest sits in a dead eucalypt almost overhanging the river, have successfully raised this year's youngster ... a big, rather dopey looking fluffy creature, sitting waiting for dinner alongside a sleeker, smaller looking parent. Such fun.

6 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

Well, you've painted a picture with words, anyway! - your river walk sounds just wonderful (and wonder full)- how lovely to have freesia ground cover, I am cherishing the two little stragglers that popped up from last years bulbs. And a big baby Osprey! ...so glad Shashi is recovered enough to walk again, poor girl.
I've just been pruning the hydrangeas, a bit late as they're full of new green leaves - hot and pooped now too, with a couple more bushes to go - it has to be exercise!

laura said...

What a lovely description ... It's all preparation for painting! ;-)
You're right to do the yardwork now--I wish I had devoted some time to my yard before it got too hot; I didn't and the yard looked awful all summer!

Gillian said...

Wish I could take that walk with you, VPP!! I agree - in awe - with CPP, re. the freesias. To have them growing there as ground cover! What joy. So good that old Shash is recovering well from her surgery. Calvin has bounced back from his kidney collapse crisis too. It's hard to believe he was so ill. Burchell's coucal babies are also much bigger and fluffier than their parents. I found a youtube to melt my heart... Click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D22EwszPjE

Vivienne said...

OOH I see what you mean Gin. I'm sure it is also called the rain bird.You do hear it in the bush before it rains.Magic.That and Hueglin's robin's early morning trills are especially heart-melting... oh and the fish eagle, hmm the crested barbet too.And, and...
Have you HEARD Australian birds? Not pretty on the whole, though there are mellifluous little maggies around.
Forgot to mention that the black swans who inhabit our foreshore have a new batch of cygnets as well. Very cute. And our minister, Frank and Cam his wife,have a puppy (a grand-puppy he says, but he has photos up!)Must be spring .. here at least!

Gillian said...

Yes, Burchell's coucal is the rain bird. We heard fish eagles every day at the house we rented at the river in EL. The rain birds were everywhere but hard to spot. Are Hueglin's robins South African birds or Aussie? No I don't know Aussie bird song. Apart from the Cape doves, I only really started caring and being conscious of bird song in EL - all part of being so grateful to be home and soaking in every gift for the 5 senses.

Vivienne said...

You were in a very special place ,on the river there, weren't you? So wonderful. Aussie birds generally rather raucous and parroty,but funny. Heuglin's robin (I spelt it wrong before) is Southern (Central?)African - apparently a mimic as well. I was entranced when one woke us up every morning in the Okavango, from just outside our mosquito-net-tent. Real liquid honey. There are lots on the Lower Zambezi, but the Botswana chappie was the all-time opera star.
You can get CDs of African birdcalls. Not quite the same somehow.