Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Spring days in England

Just to show that I have not been a total slacker, here is another post ... two in one day!




I should have drawings of my son who was 33 yesterday, and his little second son, who will be 1 tomorrow. But inanimate objects are a little more manageable.



One of my ambitions has been to grow hellebores (and peonies), and I have greatly enjoyed watching these beauties in this lovely country garden.






Here is another of my laborious watercolours! Oh dear, when will I learn that less is more, fast beats slow, white reigns supreme, composition is the key, and quite a few other things besides?



Anyway, it is quite pretty in an overworked sort of way, just because the garden is so pretty.



I tried to capture this very old brick and flint walled garden in the most wonderful sunshine.


I have been trying over a few days, but the wind made it too cold to sit outside for long, then it was too SNOWY, then a bit cold ... this morning just glorious.


For some reason I got the old wishing-type-well lined up in front of two wrought iron gates, an urn on a plinth, steps and a glorious prunus in spring leaf-bud, and all on a very small page! AND you have a field of daffodils, with the woods behind.



And here is a little interior study.
The old mullioned windows in this very old house have lovely little bits of ancient (?) stained glass somewhat randomly positioned in them, and it is wonderful how much brightness and interest they add to a room.

3 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

...and Abracadabra!... in England, with such lovely English looking paintings. Happy Birthday to Tristan and baby Henry, sorry I'm such a slack aunt/great aunt. Your flower painting is so helleborish - beautiful! - and glimpses into the garden and interior too. I'm so glad you're braving the wonky weather and posting these - it's like a mini-holiday for me, thank you!

Gillian said...

Hi Viv - lovely to see your postings from Zam & Elv. Have a guest in the house at the mo. so don't have time to post or ponder much!! Thanks for the BEAUTIFUL DRAWINGS AND PAINTINGS... Hpy b'dy to Tris & Henry. Lots of love - XXXOOO (I saw a really cheap ticket to London and was tempted to hop on a plane and come see you...!! Watch the BBC news every evening hoping, hoping, praying for good news from Zim...)

Vivienne said...

Thank you for nice things said. Oh Gin I wish you had done that! Next time I come over here will tell you in advance.....saw Huw and Fel yesterday... super day. His b day tomorrow. P just gone via Africa. I am here till Wed pm. Now it is hailing, lightly!