Thursday, August 7, 2008

Happiness is flowers from someone you love





I am enjoying the watercolours a lot more, and it is so nice to be able to fiddle about without major disruption.

I have been working on these on the kitchen table, in between preparing for a girls' lunch tomorrow. A made-up paella, followed by quince tarte tatin. Which will be the greater success - food or sketches - remains to be seen.

It is always lovely to receive flowers, and my younger son is particularly sweet about bringing or sending them, as are all 4 of my nice children! A pretty bunch of lilium, rosebuds and statice was on the kitchen bench when I got home last week, and the lily buds continue to open and delight.

Tried to paint them loosely and washily, but the Botanist in me does insist on correcting things!


5 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

I just love those little shadows the stamens and pistil (see I have a teensy bit of botanist in me;o) cast on the petals. I put pink lilium up at St P's last week, and wished I could have painted them first, so I'm so glad to see that you have done some, and so beautifully... what a nice fellow is JBP!

Gillian said...

Baie mooi blomme! I too noticed the shadow of the stamen on the petal and enjoyed how real that looks. I must make my children look at your blog; they may pick up a tip or two on how to warm a mother's heart!

laura said...

How nice to receive such lovely flowers from your son; your paintings are lovely too. The top one has a wonderful glow to it, and I like the whimsical-looking foliage in the bottom one.

Vivienne said...

Thank you, ladies! Laura, I am honoured by your regular visits.I have probably exaggerated my offsprings' collective virtues just a little bit, but do like to treat them equally!
Christine just gave me some beautiful ornamental kale ... remember the Kafe Fassett books? It will be fun to paint.
Olympic opening ceremony tonight and we are very excited that rower James Tompkins is carrying the flag for Australia .. at 43 .. a wonderful sportsman and person.

laura said...

I doubt you're exaggerating Vivienne! But, come to think of it, we should always exaggerate our loved ones' virtues! ;-)