Friday, August 29, 2008

Still in the cabbage patch





I am slowly getting ahead with my big tulip painting, in between rose pruning and other jobs.
Meanwhile, Laura told me about the Virtual Sketch Date, all about cabbage this month. I had had a bit of practice on the kale, so I thought I would have a go in watercolours. Immediately got a bit precious with the masking fluid and all the detail. I rather like it at this stage, with lots of white paper, but I can't resist filling it all in, so here is the record of stage 1, cropped and uncropped versions.

6 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

This is looking just fantastic - you are so mastering watercolours, and you have these kale colours perfectly! I signed up for this too but haven't even looked at it yet - I think it will be a very sketchy sketch if I get to it - lots of jobs to do too (visitor coming tomorrow). Looking forward to the tulips.

Gillian said...

These are wonderful! I love both - the cropped and uncropped. Not precious at all. The presentation on your blog looks so good (because they ARE SO GOOD!) The delicate colours of cabbage make for a great exercise in w/c and you've mastered it, as far as I can see. A reminder to enjoy and appreciate the simple things in life, pockets of beauty right under our noses.

cathyswatercolors said...

These are just beautiful.

Leslie Hawes said...

Your watercolors are lovely!
I like the white paper showing. I wouldn't work too hard at covering it up. It gives it a freshness that is very appealing.

Hope you do the Virtual Sketch Date agian. It is good fun.

laura said...

I LOVE it--you have really improved on the photo! Not too precious--you have a nice feel for line, very lively. The greens, and the white on top, are very nice too!

Vivienne said...

Thanks you for your kind comments, my supportive sisters. Cath your invitation to blog to keep in touch and in practice has been such fun.Though I think I had more time in my day before! Gin, you are so right about the simple things (smell the cabbages, eh?).Thank you Shicat and Leslie. Sorry ...your advice not to overwork it is already too late. Laura, you feel like an old friend already .. thank you.