Sunday, August 3, 2008

some watercolours from our trip

This is becoming an approx once a month blog, it seems.

First, I have to say how frustrating I find watercolours! They are so hard, and I had decided to give up entirely, until I saw how scanning improved them (I thought!).They are so good to take away, and the IDEA of the leisurely sketch, which is, of course an instant success, lingers on - hence the frustration. Cath, how do you do those leaves of yours? Must study them more closely.
Well, over worked, fiddled with, etc... here we go.

Hotel in Norfolk




This is a sketch from a window of the Sea Marge Hotel in Norfolk, a venerable seaside Great-Aunt of an hotel, with a view of grey sea across parking and somewhat straggly gardens and roofs at the back. The front of the hotel has pretty lawns and gardens, and we did have a comfortable and pleasant stay there. We were there for a wonderful 60th birthday party in a huge triple marquee, in a field on a country Estate. I wish I could have drawn the beautiful people there.




View from a Villa at Le Cannet.



After Norfolk, we travelled to France, to the French Riveira, where we stayed with family members in their beautiful little villa near Cannes. It is on the mountainside, hedged in between hairpin-bend-streets, with glorious views of the Mediterranean and rooftops, between the stone pines, cypresses and olives that cover the stony ground.We were amazed at the amount of natural forest in this highly populated and urban area.
Between the hedge and the roof in the foreground is a path topping an ancient Roman aqueduct! This means that it is the only almost perfectly level ground until you get down to the coast; and it is much used as a jogging and cycling track. Jen says people go by, calling out to her in French, "See you for cocktails on the way back!"


The granulation of ultramarine in such a small scale sketch meant the sea came out looking very spotty! Smooth paper better, perhaps. And I cheated with some typing white-out as well.

The Stone Pine



I tried a charcoal sketch (small) of a stone pine in the garden, all aged and gnarled. It is home, like every other tree and bush to countless (because they are so well camouflaged) cicadas.



They create a merry racket, as long as the temperature exceeds exactly 72degrees F (or was that 74?) When it drops below, they shut up instantly. When we had dinner in a restaurant in the village square one night, it was quiet to start with, but as it got dark, and lights came on in the trees, they warmed up, and suddenly les cigales burst into full chorus once more.



Villa at le Cannet

Here is another little sketch, less doctored this time, and I think more successful for it, of the villa






Blue-shuttered, terracotta-tiled, stone floored, white and cool inside, it is just beautiful.

The little people are brother in law Matt on the phone upstairs, and Jenny, babysitting adorable grandchildren downstairs. There is a pretty pool and an olive tree.


10 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

Oh yay! - I hoped you'd managed to do some sketching, but didn't want to nag...I knew you'd had a hectic and breathtaking time! These are so good (even if scanning improves them - I'm always a bit more impressed with mine up on the screen too)and so beautifully catch bits of your holiday for us to have a peep at. Cannes looks and sounds so fabulous - I'm sure Jen's place must be quite near to Jane F's..? I also find w/c landscapes incredibly difficult - you may notice I haven't attempted many - besides the France hol which was a new experience - must be brave like you and try! I'm sure you'll look at these one day and remember your time much more vividly! Lots of sun and light in your paintings - lovely!!

Vivienne said...

Ah thanks, Cath. I'm afraid they are greatly helped by compression as well. But I will go on trying with the dreaded things, even if it is only on the very occasional quiet holiday day. I have a lovely pink scooter photo, in front of an ice-cream shop, which will make a nice oil painting ...

Vivienne said...

Please send Jane F's address by email .. could be nice for M&J to meet them if they do live close.Zimbabwean Real Estate people found their house for them, and are amazingly efficient and helpful in their support.

laura said...

These are all lovely, light-filled. I especially like the first--I love that blue basin, and the red roof next to it really pops! Your greens are very fresh too--hard to achieve, especially when painting on-the0spot, in my experience. I would love to visit Le Cannet and see what Bonnard saw!

Vivienne said...

Hello Laura, and thanks so much for your encouragement. Do you know we passed signs to "Espace Bonnard" ( I think it was called)on our LAST day, and I kicked myself for not finding out about it earlier, and visiting, as I adore his work, but had not known about the connection. Hopefully there will be another time.Jenny recommended books about the area, by local resident Carol Drinkwater, who acted in the Herriot vet TV series.

Gillian said...

OOoooo! How lovely to see these and feel like I've almost been there myself. These are beautiful, Viv. You must not allow yourself to be discouraged about your w/c's!! They're so lovely. I must go and look up Bonnard now. (And Carol Drinkwater! We watched that BBC series so many years ago.) Our cicadas are also rattling away in the trees. I wonder if they sound the same as the F.R. ones? The ones in E.L. (Christmas beetles) were so high pitched, I couldn't stand the sound at first, then got used to them.

Vivienne said...

Hi Gin ... thank you for being so kind as always. I wonder if your cicadas have a thermostat for chirping as well. I am quoting Matt on that ... I'm sure he would be right!

R K said...

Your sketchbook watercolors are very nice: color choices, depth, and distinct style.

Vivienne said...

Thank you very much, Rock.I feel I am a bit of a flounderer esp in water colour, so 'distinct style' makes me feel very good!

laura said...

Oh, I loved All Creatures Great and Small--the series and all the Herriot books. I tried to get my stepdaughter to read them--such wonderful stories, funny ones and sad ones. Carol Drinkwater--did she play James's wife, Helen?