Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A celebration of figs


I put in a black Smyrna fig tree about 4 years ago, I think. It wants to be enormous, and needs to be cut down to size each year, but has borne only a few dryish but flavoursome figs each year so far. Until this year! There are lots and lots of them, and they are an elegant size and shape, beautiful colours, and have a wonderful flavour. I picked these this morning, and painted them on a green glass plate, on one of my Mum's very special table mats. We have a big flock of white cockatoos visiting, and I think they have had the occasional taste, hence the pink flesh revealed. Or perhaps it was the pink and grey galahs, though they seem to prefer the prickly balls on the liquidamber tree.

I love figs. I love the shapes the trees grow into. I love their curvaceous leaves, and the fruit that somehow brings to my mind Adam and Eve; far more than the more puritan seeming apple does. I love their complicated pollination story, the colours of the fruit, inside and out... and the taste.

I've tried this in watercolour, with a bit of ink for definition. It may need a little pale blue pastel to make the light bloom on the skins that I have not captured.

5 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

I love those purple figs too and they look wonderful on the green glass - I remember those table mats - very special! I wonder if a black Smyrna would grow here...some figs are declared alien species here, sadly.

Gillian said...

Mmmm - yum! Those look beautiful; they are an amazing fruit in every way. The colours in your painting are so vibrant. I have happy memories of Marj & Vic's little fig tree... We had a fig tree in our backyard, right next to the fence, under a lot of shade from another huge tree. The main trunk had split and started to rot - but one section of it kept growing and producing fruit. Perhaps we should try another one.

Vivienne said...

Yes figs always remind me of Vic and Marj, who made fig jam (there is an interesting Aussie mnemonic FIGJAM about people who habitually blow own trumpet, tho Marj didn't).Also of Dad who loved to eat fig jam. (but also didn't go "Gosh I'm Good, Just Ask Me!")We've had the most beautiful summer RAIN today. And Johnny's coming home this arvo.Yay!

Maureen said...

Oh, those are such plump, ripe figs. I bet you sketched quickly so you could gobble them up :D

Vivienne said...

hello "lost in wonder". Thanks for your visit and comment. Figs almost over now and we are gobbling our lovely sweet grapes!