Friday, October 24, 2008

Cobweb in the leaves

Laura has had to say goodbye to her old cat.
Thinking of her put me in mind of cats we have known and loved, and who have graced us with their presence.
Cobweb was a pretty calico cat who loved to sleep in a pile of dry leaves, where she was well camouflaged, and from which she would emerge smelling all sweet and leafy.
She was our eldest son's 12th birthday present, and, gratifyingly, always loved him the best, tolerating the rest of us, probably because of our competence with a can opener.
I did this painting of her for our son.

6 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

What an absolutely beautiful painting - and what a special, special gift for Tristan. Has he seen it yet? Did you just do it recently? It looks almost totally abstract until you see those very lifelike eyes observing you, and then the sunlit nose... fantastic, VP, you are so gifted!

Cathy Gatland said...

Now I'm having deja vu with this... it was in your studio when I visited, but not finished yet?

Vivienne said...

Oh no I did it absolutely ages ago. I think I gave it to him last Christmas, but they left it here. I know he did like it, but they didn't take any of their paintings ... that temporary home thing! I should really varnish and get it framed for him. Laura's cat made me remember it, and I have nothing interesting that is new for show-and-tell! Thanks for your nice words .. it kind of did itself. I think the quickest ptg I ever did, without worrying and changing at all.

Gillian said...

Oh this is absolutely beautiful,V!!
It looks so effortless - like your brush did its own dance on the canvas. I want to reach in and pick up Cobweb for a cuddle. Yes, her eyes are so alive and moist. And the light across her nose. The camouflage of fur into foliage. Makes me miss old Lily cat!
(What a lovely gift for Tristan.)

laura said...

Lovely post--it is absolutely "gratifying" when your cat loves you best! And what a gorgeous gorgeous painting!! I love the light on Cobweb's nose, and that sleepy, sultry cat expression in her eyes. The loose way you painted the foliage is beautiful too--it's one of those paintings where the subject just emerges ...

Adam Cope said...

beautifully composed vivienne

hope you are well & happy

best adam (who does link to you ;)