Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I have been working away on this, and it has changed a few times ... whizzing round the colour wheel a bit while I try to remember and find the warm golden light and lavender shadows of Vichy! The lawns were certainly not so lush and green! There are still lots of rough bits... lady's left hand and duster, bags, bike, etc., but I am 'over' it for now. I always wanted it to be 'broad brush', so should not have to tweak detail, but I am SO inconsistent, so the background is more fiddly than it should be, if the faces are not described!
Overall, I have to say I like the jolly nature of the scene, though it is a bit of a caricature.
I like stripes very much, and a grid, and am pleased to have incorporated these.
I THINK I have achieved a bit of a triangular composition, though the apex could be better emphasised (I want it above the red head). And I think the white bits provide a bit of dance and movement.

6 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

This is looking terrific - full of joie de vivre and Bumble-bee man delightfully light on his feet - all the characters are so well observed and drawn. The colours do remind me of France - the deep mauve shadows of the green trees, and the buildings are soft and lovely in the background. I wouldn't worry about consistency here - it all holds together well.

Vivienne said...

Thanks Cath,
I don't know how you and others out there manage a 'painting a day, however small. It must help with establishing a palette and decision making too. I fuss and fiddle for ever!

Gillian said...

This is looking lovely, Viv. The shadows adding perspective and weight. Yesterday I thought I saw golden leaves on our patio - rather blurry through the window - then realized it was a patch of golden sunlight! Having declining vision helps sometimes - seeing colour and ordinary sitings differently.

Kari Gibson said...

It has certainly come on a lot! I love bumble bee man's dance-like movement too.

It all has a freshness and crispness that suits the subject.

Vivienne said...

Thanks for your comment, GPH and Kari. I will prob go on fiddling a bit more, but almost there.

Unknown said...

I tagged you! See my site for details...x