Thursday, January 17, 2008

The blogging life, step 2




Here is step 2 in the new blogging life, and I have managed to remove the unused page areas from my sketch. This is from the same sketch book as day 1's picture.
I am not managing the size of the pictures well, and they become too large and quite ugly when you click on them. It is only a little moleskin notebook! I think this is to do with my scanning process.




I tried to catch the appearance of the small rocky islands that surround and hide the entrance to the ancient and unspoilt (apart from crowds of tourists!) port of Hvar. It was developed by the Venetians, whose distinctive architecture and decoration abounds in the beautiful town, with its fine town square, Venetian armory, and its narrow streets winding up the mountainside to a spectacular fortress.

The brilliant artist will have sketched prolifically in the town. I did take lots of photos, and we didn't sit about too much. I was with very fit and active veteran rowers, and every time foot was set on land, there was much striding forth!


left: the blogger and her mate

right:Hvar harbour from fortress

3 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

What a lovely post - can get a real feel of your Croatian holiday, and - ha ha - the mind-picture of you trotting along behind the rowers trying to sketch the scene as you go. (You are clever to get pictures left and right, I haven't tried that)

Gillian said...

Gosh - Croatia - the Dalmatian Coast - what a beautiful place and rich for the artist - The quick pen sketch is great! What kind of pen did you use?
I suppose not having the time to sit there and draw at length may have been frustrating for you. But the quickness of your sketch is also pleasing - that's how I want to be able to do it... Quick, light easy lines. Lovely!

Vivienne said...

I had the wrong pen! Some sort of fine liner, but waterproof, and I badly wanted to blend my mistakes, but could not.The pilot Hi Tecpoint V5 extra fine is my favourite .. it blends with water.
Thanks Gin. I felt very exposed doing this, but it's good to see in print, and it's just between us hey?