Wednesday, January 16, 2008

stepping out





Here comes a hesitant attempt at posting a sketch into the big "out there", following in the more confident and competent footsteps of my two loved sisters.

This is a sketch from a recent holiday spent on an old wooden sailing boat on the Dalmatian coast of Croatia. A friend gave me a moleskin sketch book and a little box of watercolours as an encouragement to draw. While I felt the drawings were hopeless at the time, in retrospect they have provided me with more joy than the photographs we took. There is a completely different persective, and because one studies the subject to draw, the memory of it is more complex.
This shows the dry rocky coastline between Hvar and Korcula, with mountainous range appearing behind.

(When clicked on, my drawing comes up too large. Please reduce to 50% to get closer to the size of the sketch)












2 comments:

Gillian said...

YAY VIV!!! - Yes indeed you did it! I think this is going to be a GOOD thing, I can already feel my blog pulling me in to do something more...
Cath is right - it is addictive!
I liked your comment too - about the complex memory of sketching or painting. It is more satisfying "learning curve" experience than the click of a little camera.

Cathy Gatland said...

Good for you Vivienne!!! And happy birthday to your blog - hope it brings you much joy - better than computer scrabble robots who don't know their bomas from their miris.
I am proud of you both :-)