Sunday, January 27, 2008

garden bench




I have had a day to myself and thought I would do a pencil drawing in disciplined tonal fashion, and post the result, however it turned out. I have not drawn for ages!! (And it shows.)


It's been the first cool day(below about 38ÂșC ) in Perth in a long while, so it was a pleasure to sit on the patio in a beautiful sea breeze, and 'do' the view out to the garden.


I loved the charcoal drawings that Perth artist, George Haynes did some years ago, in crisp black and white, no smudges, no grey, just superb calligraphy. Well , I came nowhere near with my 6B pencil! The sketch is a bit bigger than that posted, but the lost bits are no loss, except to the balance of the composition. I found I got tired after an hour or so, and lost the energy of it, which is a shame, because it started quite well. Probably got too ambitious with the sweep. Next time I will restrict myself to perhaps just the little frangipani tree.


My garden is mostly my creative effort too. Very little gets done in these hot months, and we struggle with sandy soils, little water, heat and quite a bit of wind, but have a few hardy characters among the plants, which continue to shine through the year: roses, geraniums, frangipani, michaelmas daisies, clivia, 'mirror bush' are a few.


Many Australians are going over to more indigenous plants, but I'm happy with my old friends.

5 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

Oh hooray - I've been checking Kitchentable for new posts in vain for a while (I know you've had other matters to attend to!) and here one is. Lovely to peep into your garden again - the drawing around the plantpot is especially lovely, and the frangipani... it is tiring isn't it - I'm trying to get more 'drawing fit' doing a few exercises every day - don't know if I'll ever get back to 3-4 hour stretches of old.

Cathy Gatland said...

I've just spotted another drawing on top -did you add that later? After you had a surge of energy to finish it perhaps? It's developed into a super drawing, much stronger with more air and contrast between dark/light.

Vivienne said...

yes, I found out how to 'stitch' the bigger scan together, and I had worked more on it. But with a different (EB) pencil.Now I find the 6B is much blacker than that and the temptation is to go on fiddling, but it's 'cooked', I think.Do look at http://www.georgehaynes.com.au/gallery/drawings/

Cathy Gatland said...

Wow those George Haynes drawings are outstanding. My darkest pencil is one of mom's - a Staedtler Ex-ExB, which is now a 2 inch stub, and I can't find another one as black.

Gillian said...

Enjoyed looking at George Haynes' work. Interesting to see how he, and you Viv - handle all the detail in trees, foliage, leaves etc. That always stumps me - and I feel that little anxiety thing creeping into my head. Love your garden drawing - was that bench there in Oct. 01? I don't remember it - time to come visit again... As for EB's and Staedtlers, I can't even find my pencil...