Saturday, January 19, 2008

Dordogne postcard

A friend recently sent me a postcard from very near Tremolat, and I used it to do this little water colour.I have tried a quite large (for me) oil painting of the view from Tremolat, and got very involved in trying to see it from a sort of Hockney point of view, with the result that it is quite laboured. It was a relief to paint a similar scene is a quick and loose fashion. I'll try and attach an image of my oil painting below. My sister Gillian is the model.

I want to work on this image again, as a diptych, perhaps.

4 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

You told me about this 'Hockney-esque' painting you were doing - I'm so pleased to see it - great panoramic effect. The watercolour is so vibrant - my Arniston ones are so wishy-washy I was tempted to beef them up in photopaint, but that would be cheating, hey?

Gillian said...

Those are lovely - wow! But I can't make them "pop up" a bit bigger, when I click on them... Especially the Dordogne Valley. Is it possible to fix that?

Adam Cope said...

hello vivienne

nice to see you painting & blogging

ahh, the dordogne (again), these look like nice paintings, esp. the distortion on the wide angle

BTW just a little pedantic word: the watercolour view looks like from Domme & not Tremolat. but this doesnt matter as it's an accomplished painting.

best wishes to you

Vivienne said...

Hello Adam,
I have been enjoying your pages and sensitive drawings of your family.Baby was on the way when we met!
A resolution to work more this year and perhaps follow my sisters' example of The Blog!
I am sure you are right about the area. My friend stayed near Tremolat, which we thought a great coincidence, but it did not mean the photo was from there.